Here at Loughborough University we endeavor to meet the curriculum needs of your school. However, if there are any other specific workshops that you would like us to cover please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate you!
Sports Nutrition (Overview)
- Learn how a healthy balanced diet is adapted to fit the needs of training and competition for different sports and events.
- Identify the main nutrients and their role within sport, understand the concept of energy balance, and how to read food labels.
- Learn how to apply the information learnt in this workshop to different sporting and non-sporting scenarios.
- Learn how to make your own sports drinks from scratch!
Sports Psychology (Overview)
- Learn what the term sport psychology means, how professional sports people use sport psychology, and how they can use sport psychology to improve their sport performance
- Understand how what is learned in sport can transfer to other areas of their lives, including academic and professional activities.
- Topics covered can include team building, communication, mental toughness, imagery.
Fitness Testing- Field-Based
- Learn what fitness is, the different components of fitness and how fitness can be tested.
- Understand why fitness testing is carried and the conditions that fitness testing takes place, as well as how athletes and coaches use fitness testing to improve performance.
- Identify how to test the different components of fitness and try out a variety of fitness tests for different sports. Data will be collected throughout and the students can take this away with them.
Fitness Testing- Lab-Based (16+) Please note that we can only have 12 pupils in the lab at one time and thus these sessions are available on request, particularly if you would require more than one session. Please contact us for more information.
- Be provided with an overview of the sports science support work undertaken by the university and receive a hands-on practical experience of fitness testing in a laboratory.
- Have the opportunity to take part in a VO2max test, Wingate test and to assess their strength on a Concept II Dyno. The group can take their results away with them, including oxygen uptake data from the on-line gas analyser.
- Understand the concept of VO2max is and how it is measured, what the different physiology variables measured mean, why athletes undertake such testing and how it can be used to guide training and predict race performance.
A Day in the Life of an Elite Athlete
- Gain a meaningful insight into life as a student-athlete at Loughborough University.
- Learn about the demands of juggling study and training, what it’s like living on campus, how often they train, dietary requirements in relation to sport conjunctive with being a student.
- Be given examples from athletes on a range of courses and doing a range of sports to understand the wide variety of academic and sporting offers available at Loughborough University
We have now added Performance Lifestyle to the wide range of workshops we offer on the School Visit Programme. Performance Lifestyle is a support service that enables athletes sporting and academic lives to work together and complement each other for the benefit their well-being and sporting performance. The workshop can cover:
- What performance lifestyle is and how professional sports people use performance lifestyle to support their personal and professional development
- Effective goal setting and time management.
- How to develop the necessary skills needed to cope with the unique demands of being an elite performer
- Transitions: From club level to performance, from school to university.
- Managing relationships: personal, performance and professional.
If you think your group would benefit from a Performance Lifestyle workshop then book in with one of our trained practitioners.
Strength and Conditioning (16+)
Please note that we can only have 12 pupils in the gym at one time and thus these sessions are available on request, particularly if you would require more than one session. Please contact us for more information.
- An introduction to the principles of Strength and Conditioning training
- Gain an understanding of the difference between training for strength, power and hypertrophy.
- Gain knowledge of the specific lifting techniques
In addition to academic workshops, students will be given the chance to participate in a range of team games and be coached by Loughborough students who have gained coaching qualifications and training in their chosen sports. The following sports are available alongside the above workshops:
You may have watched Handball in the Olympics and wondered what on earth you were actually watching! It’s fast, frantic and played by over 15 million people worldwide. The Handball workshop is an opportunity for students to put to use some of the world class sporting facilities and experience a different sport delivered by our own Loughborough Sport Coaches. They will be coached through the basic skills needed to play Handball before getting to test those skills with some competitive games.
Dodgeball is a game that is simple to play, quick to pick up and a lot of fun. This interactive workshop will be delivered by Loughborough Sport coaches within one of the university’s world class facilities. Students will be coached through the skills required to become champion dodgeball players.
This workshop offers an introduction to the fast growing sport of Ultimate. This is a non-contact team field sport played with a flying disc and students will be coached through the skills needed to understand and play the sport before putting what they have learnt into practice with some games.
This is an opportunity for pupils to participate in a fitness class of your choice, led by a Loughborough University qualified gym instructor. Classes can be as intense or light as preferred. whether it be a body balance yoga class or a body pump aerobics class, pupils will experience what it’s like for University students who participate in such classes on a regular basis.
Please note that when making a booking it is important that you make us aware of your current position in terms of curriculum and where your students stand in relation to the subjects they are being taught so that the sessions can be tailored to your students’ needs.