What is Phase 1…?
Phase 1 of the re-kitting of Powerbase will involve the sprint corridor, free weights area, functional area and the resistance equipment.
Phase 2 will involve the lifting platforms, full and half racks.
When will each Phase take place…?
Phase 1 is scheduled to take place between Monday 21st August to Friday 25th August. The end date is subject to change depending upon the progress made and final confirmation of the full process. Phase 2 will be determined as soon as possible but hopefully before the start of term.
What will Powerbase look like…?
The following images are a representation of how Powerbase will look;
- The kinesis stations are all being removed, as are the majority of the fixed resistance machines.
- The 2 cable jungles allow the ability to perform a “low row” and “lat pulldown”. The weight stacks will go up to 130kg for each of these stacks. The other 2 of the 4 stacks will go up to 50kg.
- We are having 1 DAP and 2 Keiser functional trainers into the space to the left of the main entrance.
- We will mainly provide “plate loaded equipment” – Technogym’s “Pre Strength Range”. We are planning to have 3 each of the chest press, linear leg press, row and overhead press. We have included the prone leg curl and standing leg curl as well as 2 plate loaded leg extensions.
- We have included the seated dip and tried to position it near a walk way to give better access to wheelchair users.
- We have looked to position the leg press’ and lower body machines as close to the racks as possible. We will have 3 linear leg press machines.
- The free weight area is being re-located to under the low ceiling where the rig is currently situated. The mirrors for this alteration have already been installed.
- With the exception of the area around the platforms (which will be integrated in Phase 2) we will lay a new floor across the whole gym. The floor in the functional area will be of a different material appropriate for that space. The floor will have markings to designate new walk-ways.
- We will look to create a walk-way through the platform area to allow better access to the lifting area and the sprint corridor.
- The sprint corridor is to be left clear, apart from the 2 punch bags which will be hung in-line with a single lane.
- The cupboards behind the throws wall have been removed.
- There will be no rig in Powerbase – thus the run off area will be left as an open area and the instructors will work to ensure equipment is not taken into this area.
- The door into the sprint corridor has been blocked off. We are looking to improve the throws area by adding a sail (a smaller version of what is currently at Hipac) to allow a greater variety of exercises.
- The green areas are planned to be the main walk ways/access routes – they will be marked out where possible, eventually different coloured flooring will be introduced when the platforms are changed.
- The pink square is approximately the “functional” area. The items highlighted will be for use in this area only.
- The aim is to have blocks of machines, especially watt bikes to allow squads to be together if required.
- We have added 2 skiErg’s to replace the cross-over machines we currently have.
- We will have 3 different types of treadmill – 4 to replace the existing machines, 4 curved treadmills and we will be the first facility to provide Technogym’s new Treadmill, The SkillRun.
- We have reduced to 1 arm cycle and have positioned this downstairs.
Phase 1 will take place between Monday 21st August – Friday 25th August. If this period is extended we will inform you as soon as we are made aware.
Powerbase will be closed and members will be able to use Holywell Fitness Centre during this period. Community Car Park passes will be eligible for use in the Car Park by Holywell.
Members of Squads who have sessions at Powerbase and EIS Athletes should contact their Coaches to determine what effect this will have on their sessions.
Further communication on Phase 2 will be provided as soon as we are in a position to confirm dates, layouts and arrangements.