If you are bored of going to the gym or looking to learn a new skill in a safe and friendly environment then why not give Mixed Martial Arts a try. Our professionally instructed classes will offer a brilliant new challenge as well as an opportunity to make new friends while keeping yourself fit and healthy.
What is Mixed Martial Arts?
Mixed Martial Arts (more commonly known as MMA) is a combat sport that utilises the aspects of many other martial arts disciplines. It is a modern sport that merges Boxing, Kickboxing, Wrestling and Brazilian Jujitsu.
MMA is open to everyone from complete beginners to advanced martial artists. If you have reservations about being a novice then fear not because every year there are many students keen to learn who have never trained in a Mixed Martial Arts before.
What will you learn?
- You will learn how to set up take-downs and submissions with strikes and how to defend against those attacks.
- You will learn how to chain your striking/wrestling/submission attacks into combinations and how to defend and counter those attacks.
- You will learn game planning and contingency plans that will allow you to massively improve your potential as a fighter.
- People of all abilities will get the opportunity to spar against other students at a of all levels however these are completely optional along with all the other aspects of the class.
- Most classes will contain an element of conditioning, this is designed to increase your cardiovascular endurance, core strength as well as muscular endurance.
It is important to note that these classes are progressive and every activity and skill can be adapted to suit your specific level so all students can be challenged but will not be overstretched.
The classes are instructed by Jimmy Wallhead. He is an English professional mixed martial artist, based in Leicestershire, England, who competes in the welterweight division. Wallhead trains with the famous London Shootfighters. He is regarded as one of the best welter weights in Europe and currently fighting in the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships). With 36 fights under his belt along with a lifetime of combat expertise and a background in judo, where he holds a Black Belt having trained under Olympic silver medallist Neil Adams, he will provide the best available instruction.
Monday: 4:30-6:30pm (MMA Striking with Jimmy Wallhead)
Tuesday: 4:30-6:30pm (MMA Grappling with Jimmy Wallhead)
Wednesday: 7:00-9:00am (Student led session)
Friday: 8:00-10:00pm (Brazilian Jui Jitsu with Jimmy Wallhead) (at Edward Herbert Building)
Saturday: 1:00-3:00pm (Open mat)
Venue: Taekwondo Centre (above powerbase)
MMA Committee Members:
- Alex D’Cruz
- Lukasz Torzewski
- Adam Tomlin
- Katie Greenslade
- Alex Allington
- Ross Forrester
- Joe Theobald
- Alex Bell
If your want to find out more join our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/410356289173733/